St. Jean de Brébeuf Church

St. Jean de Brébeuf Church is located at 2291 County Road 36, approximately 4 km north of Buckhorn. Please join us for Holy Mass on Saturdays and on Sundays. We invite you to view our Mass Schedule page for times.

History

In 1911, Harvey Township became the mission of St. Paul the Apostle Parish, Lakefield during the pastorate of Father John J. O'Brien. From the 1860’s, itinerant priests heard Confessions and celebrated Holy Eucharist in the residences of the Pluard family. In 1931, the newly appointed Bishop Denis O'Connor requested the construction of a mission chapel in Harvey Township. A piece of land on the ninth lot of the sixteenth concession of Harvey Township was donated by Frederick Pluard and a chapel measuring 36 by 20 feet was built on a cement foundation. Furnishings were provided by the Cathedral Church of St. Peter-in-Chains, St. Paul the Apostle Church, Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, and St. Joseph Church, Douro. The interior of the church was painted by then seminarians Francis Marrocco, Charlie Kay and Gil Kay. The new church was blessed by Bishop O'Connor on August 29, 1931.

Since 1931, this small church has prospered through the devotion and generosity of year round and summer parishioners. During its history,
St. John de Brébeuf Church has celebrated many milestones of faith including the installation of stained-glass windows (1986), the presentation of the Papal Benemerenti Medal to Anna Pluard for her 30+ years as chief caretaker of the church (1986), and the extension and redesign of the altar area with prominence given to the tabernacle and statue of our Blessed Lady (1991). In 2000, a large off-road parking lot was completed with a mounted plaque dedicated to the celebration of a lifetime of service and devotion to the church of Anna and Fred Pluard, and Viola and Clifford Guthrie. In 2006, a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the church was commemorated with the installation and blessing of a vestry stained glass window in memory of B. Edmund Nelligan, and a repainting and re-carpeting of the building. In 2007, a white cross was erected and blessed in the side lawn flowerbed in memory of Mary (Pluard) Laevens and other deceased members of the
St. John de Brébeuf community.

From “A Brief History of St. Paul the Apostle Parish: Roots, Trunk and Branches,” by Dr. Donald Graham, 2009, Saint Paul the Apostle Church, 100th Anniversary, with acknowledgements of Edgar J. Boland, From the Pioneers to the Seventies. A History of the Diocese of Peterborough, 1882-1975, 2nd. Ed., (Kawartha Ancestral Research Association, 2007), as well as interviews with the Diocesan Archivist, Sylvia Best, Mary Dutchuk, Marg Sanders, Teresa and Vince Hickey, Cathy Hickey, Bern Caza, Marjorie Ludgate, Patricia Schiarizza, Christine Quigley, Julie carter, Ruth and Wellie Garbutt, and Dr. David Beresford.